Story Maps are a different way to visualize your Product Backlog. This post will give you a brief intro so you can build your own.
What’s the Problem
We all know that the Product Backlog is the prioritised list of user stories we need to implement in up coming releases. So what are the problems that exist with a backlog that might cause us to look at another tool to use in conjunction with the backlog.
- Backlogs are usually lists in Excel and make it difficult to visualise what needs to be done.
- There is no way to show a connection between a larger feature and the 3 smaller stories that make up that feature in a backlog.
- The order of workflow is not visible in stories in a backlog.
- Usually release scoping happens at the larger feature level since it’s unwieldy to work at the lower story level when planning releases.
- Backlog’s don’t offer any way to confirm if you’ve covered everything. Read more